The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VII. Issue 14. ***Stowe House Wins Triskelion Cup***

REVIEW: High School Production Carries on Splendidly Despite Illness, Challenges

Shanshan Chen, Reporter

SENIOR HOUSE – The last performance of the Senior House play, A Doll’s House, came to a successful ending on Saturday, February 3rd.

The cast and crew put on three performances, which were the products of their hard work in rehearsals throughout the past four months.  Senior House cast members, under the guidance of directors Mr. Bruce Mandia, Upper School English and drama teacher, and Mr. Morgan Murphy, Upper School Public Speaking and drama teacher, and with the help of several parents, performed a professional and wonderful show.  

Mr. Mandia expressed his delight with the work of the cast and crew.

“From start to finish, it was a tremendous show.  The actors were able to sense and change the tempos with the play.  Act I was light and fun and loving, but from the end of Act I on, they really captured the change, the momentum, and mood.  They did a tremendous job.”

On stage, the hard work of the cast and crew received lots of compliments from the audience; however, the actors’ efforts off stage received much less attention than they deserved.  

According to a member of the production crew, some actors were sick on the third day of the show.  Among them was Gaby Wakim, an 11th grader, who played a very important character in the show.  Gaby performed despite the fact that she had a fever.  

Despite illness, the cast were all professional and composed.  In addition, according to one of the actors, some actors forgot their lines in two scenes on the first day of the show.  When facing this situation, the cast did not panic, but finished the show without any members of the audience even noticing.  

Mr. Mandia commented on this situation.

“That happens to every actor,” he said.  “I have lost the line, and I still do.  But the key every actor has to do is to stay in character and get through that moment.  If they don’t panic, the audience will never know.  Once an actor does that, I think that’s when they truly call themselves an actor.”

A Doll’s House, like all other drama productions that have been produced in the past years, exhibited to the community’s great talents and the teamwork of the students.  

Story by Shanshan Chen, Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School