The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VIII. Issue 2. ***Student Government Formed; Story Below***

REVIEW: Summer Movies Thrill and Chill…Repetitively

Nichole Roldan, Reviewer/Reporter

NEWSROOM – The 2018 summer box office was all about remakes and sequels.  Three of the biggest were Incredibles 2, Ocean’s 8, and The First Purge.

Incredibles 2, the second film in The Incredibles franchise, brings all of the nostalgia from the first movie released in 2004.  The film shows the Parrs, a superhero family, once again on quest to stop a super menace. The movie picks up right at the end of the first when the Underminer, a villain, comes to wreak havoc on the city and rob the city’s bank.  That is when the Parr family is seen putting on their masks getting ready for a battle.

This summer, Incredibles 2 received $182 million global when first opening in theaters.  It later grew to $606 million in total, as stated in the Box Office Mojo.  According to Rotten Tomatoes, the film collected a total audience score of 94%, which is actually less than the first which came to be 97%.  

Ocean’s 8 follows a similar storyline to the original Ocean’s 11, released in 2001.  The storyline follows Debbie Ocean, played by Sandra Bullock, who was just released from prison after five years.  You would think that after going to prison, you wouldn’t risk anything that could get you put back. This is not the case for Ocean.  As soon as she is let out, she recruits a team to steal The Toussaint, a $150 million Cartier necklace, at The Met Gala. The team members included very well-known actresses like, Rihanna, Sarah Paulson, Anne Hathaway, and Mindy Kaling.

Unlike the original, Ocean’s 8 did not do so well according to Rotten Tomatoes. The first movie earned an 82% according to the audience, while Ocean’s 8 received a 68%. Ocean’s 8 collected $140 million global in total, according to the Box Office Mojo.

The First Purge, the fourth of the Purge series, is set in the near-future. It is a prequel unlike the other movies in the franchise.  In order to push the crime rate below one percent, the New Founding Fathers of America, agree on one night that will be called the Purge, where all crime is legal.  The film explores the collapse of society, and the reason behind the acceptance of the Purge.

The First Purge grossed a total of $69 million in the time it was in theaters, reported in the Box Office Mojo.  The First Purge got an audience score of 54% which actually did better as the original movie got a score of 38% on Rotten Tomatoes.  The score of the other Purge movies showed a trend in which the sequels earn higher scores than the original.

According to The Wrap website, “The films of summer 2018 pulled in $4.8 billion at the box office-the second biggest take of any summer.”

With the help of Incredibles 2, Ocean’s 8, and The First Purge the box office of summer 2018, had one of the biggest summer box office pulls ever.

Story by Nichole Roldan, Reporter

Edited by Ted Frascella, Editor in Chief

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School