The Stanwich Post

Upper School Science Teacher Attends “Engineer Without Borders” Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nichole Roldan, Reporter

NEWSROOM- In early November, one of Stanwich’s teachers had the pleasure of attending and presenting his ideas at the Engineers Without Borders conference in San Francisco, CA.  

Mr. Fletcher, Upper School Science teacher, was invited to the annual Engineers Without Borders (EWB) to discuss specific problems around the world.

EWB held their conference addressing the theme “Engineers Unlock Potential”.  The conference is split into two divisions, the first being the professional engineers and the second being the student engineers.  The students are made up of U.S. college students who exchange ideas and try to develop solutions for infrastructure problems around the world.  These students are then given the chance to travel the world to work on their projects.

“I spent three days listening to amazing presentations on a variety of topics ranging from ‘Unlocking Untapped Potential Through Diversity and Inclusion’ to the creation of solar pump freshwater systems being installed around the world,” said Mr. Fletcher in an email interview.

In addition to listening to presentations, Mr. Fletcher had the chance to present his current work building the Blessing School in Rwanda, which many of our students help out with on the annual Rwanda summer trip.  He presented his work to over 100 students and professionals at the conference.

Currently the only students that can work with EWB are from colleges and universities around the country.  Mr. Fletcher is working with the EWB staff to become the first high school member.

“Project Blessing was presented at the conference with one goal, and the goal was to share with the engineering and college community that if you set clear and high expectations, this is what high school students can accomplish.”

Story by Nichole Roldan, Reporter

Edited by Ted Frascella, Editor in Chief

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School