The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School

The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VII. Issue 3.

Vegas Violence Leads to National 2nd Amendment Debate

Isabel Vigale, Senior News Reporter

NEWSROOM – Following the recent shooting at the Country Music Festival in Las Vegas, the topic of debate nationally relates to whether a change is necessary regarding gun control and regulations.

In the past, when a mass shooting occurs, the inevitable aftermath sparks discussions about whether gun laws are too lenient in states across America.  After the talk of these shootings dies down, so do the pressing actions to enact changes to gun control.   

The Second Amendment gives citizens the right to own guns – this has been ruled on by the Supreme Court and is fairly well accepted.  One in four Americans owns a firearm.  However, whenever an act of of mass-violence occurs, some believe it necessary to restrict this right further in order to create a safer environment.  Others find it necessary to keep the current laws for protection, freedom purposes, and Constitutionality.

Nevada, the state of the recent shooting, is known to have loose gun control laws, while Connecticut, state of the infamous Sandy Hook shooting in 2012, is known to have stricter gun control laws.  Two different states with two vastly different forms of gun control both experienced these unfortunate events.

Criticism and blame is being placed on gun control laws in Nevada, which make it very simple and quick to buy a firearm even without a permit or license, according to CNN.  

This time around, the National Rifle Association (NRA), advocates, and government are all narrowing in on the “bump stock” used to make semi-automatic weapons into a fully automatic weapons.  The device renders limits on automatic weapons moot.  The Las Vegas shooter, Stephen Paddock, used bump stocks to make his legally-bought guns more lethal.  USA Today acknowledges the fact that anyone can purchase a bump stock as it is not considered a firearm.  

The New York Times wrote that the United States has regulations that prevent gun owners from buying machine guns and banning the bump stock device would be an extension of a previous restriction.  Yet, according to Reuters, the NRA is opposed to any legislation banning such devices, but is open to further regulations to take them off the market.

The NRA’s chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, explained the NRA’s stance on Fox News Sunday with Chris Wallace.

“We don’t believe that bans have ever worked on anything.  What we have said has been very clear—that if something transfers a semiautomatic to function like a fully automatic, then it ought to be regulated differently.”

The continuous debate regarding gun violence, laws, and restrictions has many varying opinions coming from Republican and Democratic parties that will make change very difficult to accomplish.

Story by Isabel Vigale, Senior News Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief

• Vegas Violence Leads to National 2nd Amendment Debate

World News

Pink October, 2017

World News

“Flag” Football: Player Protests Dominate NFL Headlines

World News

Driving Rights Merge Saudi Society with Modernity

World News

The Popular Baby Names of 2017 Are…

World News

MLB Playoff Race Heats Up

World News

SUMMER ISSUE – School Bake Sales Becoming Endangered Species [republication]

World News

President’s First 100 Days Expire: Critics Eye Setbacks, Trump Claims Success

World News

Courts Rule in Favor of LGBT Rights in Civil Rights Act

World News

Fashion Forward: A Binary (Dress) Code

World News

Super Bowl Thriller Goes to OT; Pats Win 5th, Brady Gets 4th MVP