The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VIII. Issue 2. ***Student Government Formed; Story Below***

The Eagle Has Landed: Philly Wins Super Bowl LII

Ben Mihailovich, Reporter

NEWSROOM – The Eagles soared over Tom Brady and the New England Patriots to win Super Bowl 52.

The Eagles went into the game as underdogs, led by backup quarterback Nick Foles.  Foles was playing for starting quarterback Carson Wentz, who had suffered a torn ACL before the playoffs began.  Foles previously led the Eagles to a dominant 38-7 win against the Minnesota Vikings, who were playing for a chance to play the Super Bowl in their home stadium.  The Patriots were fresh off of a classic Tom Brady comeback against the Jacksonville Jaguars in the AFC Championship.

The Eagles drew first blood with a 25 yard field goal by rookie Jake Elliott.  Brady was able to drive the Patriots right down the field on the ensuing drive to tie the game at three.  After a big 36 yard first down run by Legarrette Blount, Foles threw a dime to star receiver Alshon Jeffery in the back of the endzone to regain the lead.  A missed extra point kept the lead at 9-3.

New England started off the second quarter with a missed field goal in part because of a poor hold by punter Ryan Allen.  Allen never saw the field as a punter and the Patriots became the first team in Super Bowl history to never punt.  The Eagles’ next drive would result in the only punt of the game.

The teams exchanged scores of different varieties, including missed PATs.  Finally, the Eagles would get the ball back with a minute and a half left in the half.  This was plenty of time for Foles and company to drive down the field.  Coach Doug Pederson then drew up the perfect trick play to get his team in the end zone of fourth and goal.  Foles became the first person to catch and throw a touchdown in a Super Bowl. The Eagles would go into the half leading 22-12.

The two teams would trade touchdowns to open up the second half on a controversial catch in the back of the endzone by Corey Clement.  The Patriots drove down the field for another touchdown pass for Brady.  The Eagles were only able to respond with a field goal this time making the score 32-26 Eagles to open the fourth quarter.

The Pats grabbed the lead on the next drive on the second touchdown pass from Brady to Rob Gronkowski.  The Eagles drove 75 yards in just over seven minutes.  Foles was able to find Zach Ertz on slant route, as he got into the endzone.  This play brought up the infamous catch rule.  Referee Gene Steratore was able to conclude that Ertz was a runner and did not drop the ball and the call stood.

The play that decided the game was made by the Eagles defense.  Brady got the ball back but was stripped by Brandon Graham.  The Patriots had a last gasp but the ball hit the ground on an attempted Hail Mary sealing the win.

Despite the loss, Brady was able to throw for 505 yards.  Foles threw for 373.  Foles won Super Bowl MVP in the Eagles’ first ever Super Bowl win.

Story by Ben Mihailovich, Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief

• The Eagle Has Landed: Philly Wins Super Bowl LII

World News

Classroom Study Becomes Reality: ‘Red Tide’ Appears in Florida

World News

Florence Does Damage to Carolinas

World News

*Summer Issue* News Outlets: Top Stressful Jobs Vary, Have Similarities

World News

Democracy in Retreat: Freedom Appears Under Siege Rather than Spreading

World News

‘Day Zero’ Approaches in South African Drought

World News

‘Cc’ the Primates: Monkeys Cloned in China

World News

Winter Olympics Thrill and Chill

World News

Super Bowl LII Pits Pats Against Eagles

World News

Women March for Equality, Proper Treatment, Voting Participation

World News

Martin Luther King Jr. Day Observed by School, Community

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School