The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School

The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VII. Issue 3.

OPINION – “Clowns are People Too”

Isabel Vigale, Reporter

NEWSROOM/OPINION – After the premiere of Stephen King’s It, entertainment clowns are protesting against the crazy, scary image the media appears to be fixated on.  

It is safe to say clowns have not been popular for some time – everyone “nose” it.  Clowns have been a target – mostly with water balloons – for evil characters in scary movies and shows, such as American Horror StoriesIt, and more for years, starting with the original 1986 Stephen King novel, but especially in recent times.  

With the recently released hit movie, the clown hysteria has returned and party clowns are not pleased with the aftermath.  Clowns are losing more and more jobs over time due to hurtful stereotypes.

In 2016, there were spate of sightings of clowns across the U.S.  This created and exacerbated existing clown phobias and paranoia to the point where some towns banned clown costumes for Halloween.  Coulrophobia is a “fear of one who goes on stilts” which is often the clown phobia people refer to.

To take action, groups of clowns (all in the same car)  have protested the movie outside theatres and according to the Daily Wire, some clown organizations have held information sessions to describe the differences between professional, entertainer, and horror movie clowns.  You can’t fit all clowns into one oversized shoe.

Dottie The Clown, a member of the Thunder Bay Clown Club, explained to Vice News the negative impact that clown stereotypes have on their jobs.

“We feel that this has done great harm in the business of clowning and for clowns.  A number of clown clubs have actually folded due to the negativity surrounding it.  You need to remember that clowns are people too.”

The World Clown Association (yes, that’s a real thing) released a press statement (in crayon) justifying their stance on the issue.

“Just as a Haunted House may have a ‘doctor’ wearing surgical gear, carrying a bloody chainsaw, people need to understand that this character is NOT a real doctor… Please understand, just because someone wears a rubber Halloween mask, that does not make one a clown!”

Stephen King tweeted back in April in response to clown complaints surrounding his book and the movie.

“Kids have always been scared of clowns.  Don’t kill the messengers for the message.”  This created a fear of messengers.

The stereotypes of clowns have gone from balloon animals and face paint to villains with the help of Hollywood.  As a result, the future careers of clown performers are on a thin wire.

Story by Isabel Vigale, Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief

OPINION – “Clowns are People Too”