Remembering Ms. Gotschall, Her Love of Music and Teaching

Back to Article
Back to Article

Isabel Vigale, Senior News Reporter

STANWICH SCHOOL – Services were held for Ms. Kerry Gotschall as students, faculty, community members and leaders attended her memorial at Second Congregational Church in Greenwich.

Ms. Gotschall, music and drama teacher at Stanwich and an artist and performer in her own right, passed away unexpectedly during the winter holiday break.  She was remembered as a loving and dedicated person and educator who was lost all-too-soon.

The stunned school and student community continues to grieve and process the news, knowing that her students and music and the arts were most important to Ms. Gotschall.

At Stanwich, Ms. Gotschall, 33,  helped put together many of the musicals, along with chorus, singing lessons, bell choir, and also helped coach and form the high school’s first girls’ volleyball team.  

Aside from teaching, Ms. Gotschall was an opera singer and enjoyed performing and sharing her voice in many productions.  The Houston native leaves behind a legacy of students and former students in our community on whom she left an indelible mark.

In a January 3rd Greenwich Time article, Mr. Sachs, Head of Stanwich School, honored Ms. Gotschall’s personality and passions.

Ms. Gotschall “was the epitome of the Stanwich spirit.  She was always upbeat, always positive.  She was full of life and love of music and the people with whom she worked.”

Students and teachers have been rallying as a community to support Ms. Gotschall’s family, including Mr. Gotchall, her brother, who is also a beloved music teacher along with Dr. Worra, who spoke to the Upper School students upon the return to school in January.

“She loved all of you and this place,” she told the students.

The song that concluded the service encapsulates the spirit of Ms. Gotschall’s life: “How Can I Keep From Singing?”

Story by Isabel Vigale, Senior News Reporter. This report was prepared as an article in memoriam but was re-edited and published to reflect the memorial service on January 13.  Publication was withheld until after the memorial to assure discretion but still cover the passing respectfully.

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief