The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VIII. Issue 2. ***Student Government Formed; Story Below***

Senior Trip Makes Marine Work the Key (Largo)

Isabel Vigale, Senior News Reporter

SENIOR HOUSE – The Seniors took a class trip filled with great activities and weather over the long weekend to Key Largo, Florida.

Staying at the Ocean Reef Club in Key Largo, the Seniors enjoyed their relaxing time by the pool and beach, shopping at the nearby stores, and going out on boats and paddle boards.  The Seniors also received the opportunity to participate in many eventful activities ranging from on the land to in the water.  

At the Coral Restoration Foundation (CRF), everyone learned more about the marine life as well as the CRF’s tireless work to replenish and grow coral to rebuild nearby reefs.  Seniors also had the opportunity to snorkel with the CRF staff and see the coral reefs they’ve helped to restore.

Henry Hittle, Senior, CRF volunteer, and creator of his “Cool Coral” moral leadership project, was happy to share this experience with the rest of his class.

“I think it was a really cool experience to have everyone come down and see all the work Coral Restoration has done.”

In kayaks, the Seniors explored the Everglades National Park with famed guide and Everglades expert Garl Harrold.  Navigating their way through the narrow passages of mangroves, Seniors kept their eyes peeled for crocodiles, alligators, pythons, and other wildlife that call the Everglades home. 

Shanshan Chen, Senior, was one of many who felt a mix of nerves and excitement while kayaking next to these reptiles.  

“I enjoyed the experience, and I’m happy that I didn’t die.”

The Senior class gained many experiences and shared unforgettable moments, which they can recount to friends and family and remember for a lifetime.

Story by Isabel Vigale, Senior News Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School