The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VII. Issue 16: FINAL/SUMMER ISSUE! *EDITION IX Coming in September!*

JH & SH Students Embark on Class Trips; Education & Adventure Filled

Ben Mihailovich, Reporter

UPPER SCHOOL – Students in the Upper School have embarked on various class trips throughout this week.

As always, Stanwich students look forward to their overnight class trips at the end of April.  Grades 7-11 go on their own trips to very unique and historic places.

Sixth graders are looking forward to a few days of fun in Frost Valley, New York, where they are playing all sorts of games involving team building.  This is one of the newest trips at Stanwich, as it has only been around for a couple of years.  The sixth graders are gone for two nights and three days.

The seventh graders are headed to Boston.  They are going for two nights and three days.  During the course of the trip, they will visit historical sites, such the Freedom Trail, Old North Church, Bunker Hill, the U.S. Constitution, and the Salem Witch Museum.

Seventh grade history teacher, Mr. Hughes, explained the appeal of the trip and its connection to the curriculum.

“I just think it’s interesting to visit a place right after we studied it.  The seventh graders have just finished the American Revolution.  It helps bring history alive to see where it took place.”

The eighth graders are headed to the nation’s capital, Washington D.C.  Like the seventh graders, they are gone for two nights and three days.  The trip includes a visit to the Holocaust Museum, a dinner dance on a boat, and trips to memorials, such as the Lincoln Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial, the Korean Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, and the MLK memorial.

The freshmen are taking their annual trip to Costa Rica.  The freshmen are gone for a week, giving them plenty of time to do community service, snorkel, hike through the mountains, swim in hot springs, and go horseback riding.

Thomas Vaccari, a freshman, is excited to use skills he’s learned in the classroom on the trip.

“I’m looking forward to new experiences and getting out of my comfort zone.  I’m looking forward to finally putting my Spanish to use by communicating with the natives.”

The only new trip this year is the one the sophomores and juniors are taking.  The two grades are on a joint trip to New Orleans.  This trip was created because the two grades needed to take a U.S. history related trip corresponding to the IB program.  Despite IB not working out, the trip is still taking place and the sophomores and juniors are excited to experience the rich history New Orleans has to offer.

“I’m so excited to have a new experience with all of the new friends I’ve made and bonded with this year,” said sophomore Tyler Brown.

The Stanwich Post wishes everyone a safe journey and hopes the students have the experience of a lifetime on their respective trips.

Story by Ben Mihailovich, Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor-in-Chief

• JH & SH Students Embark on Class Trips; Education & Adventure Filled

Stanwich News

*Summer Issue* Class of 2018 Bids Farewell in Stanwich’s 5th Graduation [photos]

Showcase

*Summer Issue* Awareness Up, Dressing Down: PYP Sophomores Focus on Helping Others

SP Video Report

*Summer Issue* Triskelion Cup Bestowed: Champion Stowe House Leaves Others Green with Envy [gala video]

Showcase

Graduation News: Hittle & Sebold Announced as Valedictorian and Salutatorian for Class of 2018

Stanwich News

Grade 9 Costa Rica Trip: Opening New Doors

Showcase

April Fools to April Showers: A Month of Renewal

Stanwich News

8th Grader Organizes for “Hope of Life”

Showcase

Marine Lab Trip: Interactive and “Fins-on” Learning

Showcase

Two Schools’ Faculties Play Basketball; Build Friendships

Showcase

High School Hoops Season Wraps Up Netting Big Wins

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School