The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VIII. Issue 3.

Roundtable Discussion Reveals New Upper School Overview, Desire for More Information

Schuyler Dubitsky, Reporter

STANWICH SCHOOL- In late September, the Greenwich Country Day School brought the 11th and 12th grade classes together in the Stanwich conference room to discuss possible changes to the school curriculum considering being implemented over the following years. 

The meeting’s goal was to hear the student’s opinions on the school’s ideas, and to share their feelings amongst one another. A GCDS representative oversaw the meeting and introduced the subjects that would be discussed, as well as handed out a course list detailing what will be offered.

The discussion was moderated, but not overly directed, by Ms. Sarah Goldin, who has been very involved in leading Stanwich and GCDS high school teachers in their work designing the curriculum.  Ms. Goldin considers student agency and voice very important in general and particularly in the formation of this new Upper School.

The “overview” sheet included categories such as visual arts, athletics, health & awareness and the basic history/english.  New ideas on the sheet included Art & Fabrication, Greek, Mandarin, mathematical literacy in the real world and many more.  The ideas were fascinating and extremely promising, especially to students who are used to a very limited number of classes and electives.

A concern felt by many attending the meeting was the lack of in depth given on the sheet.  While the ideas themselves seemed good, the lack of explanation on the part of the GCDS representative left lots of the classes, such as Cybersecurity and Blockchain & FinTech, up to the interpretation of the students. Several students chose to voice their opinions about the meeting, as well as the Grade Overview sheet. Junior, Hamish Dubitsky, (this reporter’s brother) was vocal in his thoughts feelings about both the meeting and the new ideas proposed by GCDS.

“I thought that there were some good ideas on the sheet, but I felt it would have been better if there were more comprehensive descriptions of what each course would involve. I also was hoping for more participation from the GCDS staff during the meeting, but it was just a dynamic between students.”

It’s clear the further explanations are coming soon, but not as fast as some students would have liked at this stage.

Fellow junior, Cary Rivera, shared similar concerns to her classmate but added that she “liked the addition of new classes such as Mandarin, the idea of more variety in course selection appeals to me.  

Despite the fact that GCDS is offering a wide variety of seemingly spectacular programs, we cannot forget the logistics that go with such additions.  How will there be enough students to fill each class? Who will teach the classes? What will they involve? GCDS has numerous good ideas, but there is no doubt a concern felt by the 11th and 12th graders about the actual ability of the school to implement such programs, but we may just have to wait and see.

Story by Schuyler Dubitsky, Reporter

Edited by Ted Frascella, Editor-in-Chief

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School