The Stanwich Post

Stanwich Dad & Working Actor Visits Spanish Class, Assists with Projects

Back to Article
Back to Article

Carylin Rivera, Reporter

NEWSROOM – Michael McCormick, professional actor and father of Stanwich junior Dylan McCormick, visited the Spanish 5 class to speak about the acting business and to give helpful insight on a play the class has been working on for their first and second trimester project.

Mr. McCormick was born and raised in Gary, Indiana.  He left and was apart of the broadway show Oliver in 1965 as an understudy and part of the musical ensemble.  Only 13 at the time, Mr. McCormick did not know acting was what he wanted to do for the rest of his life let alone that it would become his passion.

When Mr. McCormick returned to Indiana, he hosted a talent show at the YMCA, in which the soon-to-be Jackson 5 performed. After hosting that talent show, he realized he wanted to pursue acting.

Mr. McCormick attended Northwestern University where he studied theatre and graduated with a degree in speech.

He just finished filming a role in the famous American drama series, Blue Bloods, airing on CBS and he performs in the Broadway production of Hello Dolly! as the Judge and the understudy of David Hyde Pierce who plays as the main character Horace Vandergelder. Hello Dolly! is now his fourteenth Broadway production.

In class, he gave some insight about how students should create characters to coincide with their plot and helped expand their ideas to make an overall stronger play.

Mr. McCormick left the spanish class with three main pieces of advice,  “Always believe in yourself, work hard, and [begin] establish[ing] your reputation”.

Story by Carylin Rivera, Reporter

Edited by Ted Frascella, Editor in Chief

The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School