The Digital Student News Site of The Stanwich School

The Stanwich Post

• EDITION VII. Issue 3.

Classroom Technology Remains Helpful and Distracting

David-Jared Matthews, Reporter

UPPER SCHOOL – Computers have become such an important resource that students would not know what to do without them.

This seems to be the case based on survey research conducted by The Stanwich Post.

Most teachers in the Upper School require students to bring their computers to every class.  If students have a problem and do not know the answer, they can simply look it up.  Computers have become a second teacher in the students’ minds.

You can do just about anything and everything on the $1000 machines.  You can do your homework, create presentations, access websites, write emails, and make a calendar.  There are also applications that should not be used in school, such as Facetime, text messaging, and even watching TV.

Sometimes students can get off track with their computers, and go on a different tab than what the current topic is in class.  Students can easily access anything with just the click of a button.

In an online survey sent to Upper School teachers regarding usage of computers in the classroom, several teachers answered and offered their opinions.

“I think computers can be useful in the classroom, especially for essay writing in English class,” said Mrs. Hannon, an Upper School English teacher.  “I find that students are much more likely to revise their work when they are able to type their essays, because it is much easier to add, delete, and move ideas around.  That said, students often rely too much on the computer’s spelling and grammar check when it comes to revision.”

Another Upper School teacher, who prefered to remain anonymous, responded similarly.

“They are a great resource for all sorts of information.  Students should not, however, rely solely upon computer research.”

Another question that was asked was whether or not teachers allow their students to take notes digitally.

“They are a distraction from paying attention to class.  Also, studies show that writing notes by hand improves retention,” an anonymous teacher replied.

Mrs. Hannon agreed teacher and added that “this privilege can be revoked if students are misusing their computers.”

Computers are a privilege, not a right.

Computers also help students with dysgraphia, or just with bad handwriting, to make their work more legible.

Teachers also post homework on MyBackpack and once graded, they post the grade as well.  This is very useful because if students forget their planners at school, or do not remember the homework, they can look it up on My Backpack.

According to the New York Times, more than 30 million students use Google’s educational apps, such as Google Drive and Google Classroom.  At Stanwich, students’ accounts are through Google, so the majority of students use Drive, Classroom, and Gmail to make documents and presentations for classes, as well as share with teachers and students.

Story by David-Jared Matthews, Reporter

Edited by Maeve Sebold, Editor in Chief

• Classroom Technology Remains Helpful and Distracting

Tech News

Whale Species in Hot Water

Tech News

NASA’s Newest “Johnson” Facility Honors Hidden Figure

Tech News

SUMMER ISSUE – Droning Along: Technology Proves Multifaceted

Tech News

Cyber Attacks Make Information Superhighway Hazardous

Tech News

Red iPhones Sold for Causes

Tech News

Open for Discussion: Which Style is Better for Work, Study?

Tech News

A Car for the Selfie-Era

Tech News

VR Headsets Become Actual Reality

Tech News

Stanwich Junior Recognized for Tech,”Building Things”

Tech News

Facebook CEO “Likes” Eradication of Disease